Lots of people have heard of online microtask sites, like Clickworker, as a virtually effortless way to earn some extra cash.
But is it legit? Clickworker is an online workplace platform where you can make money completing a variety of digital tasks that involve things like writing, researching, translating, data processing. It’s a legit site, but there’s a limited availability of tasks, which ultimately makes it an unreliable source of full-time income.
Read more to find out what tasks they offer, how you can get signed up, how much you can earn, and more!
What’s Clickworker About?
Clickworker is an online workplace platform (similar to Remotasks) where freelancers can go and complete digital tasks to earn money.
Clickworker was founded by a guy named Alexander Linden in back in 2005, but it wasn’t until 2006 that the first prototype platform was launched.
And even still, it wasn’t until 2010 that it was branded under the name Clickworker.
It’s headquartered in the European Union, with its U.S. headquarters in San Fransisco. The company also has some pretty big-name investors, like:
- High-Tech Gründerfonds
- SeedCapital Dortmund
As of now, they have over one million Clickworkers and over $90 million in annual revenue.
Clickworker offers multiple types of jobs, including:
- Text Creation: creating text based on a predetermined topic and template, such as descriptions of cities or fashion items
- Categorization: categorizing the content of things like websites or search results based on your analysis and evaluation
- Copy Editing: revising written material to improve readability, flow, ensure correct facts, and correct any spelling and grammatical errors
- Proofreading: detailed critiquing and correcting of short written works, including providing constructive criticism for the authors
- Research: searching the internet to collect data (like restaurant addresses, for example) to update existing data
- Surveys: take online surveys that you prequalify for based on your profile data
- Mystery Visit: photographing (discreetly) certain things, like items placed in the proper shelf of a store or the current address of a popular restaurant
- App Testing: using either an iPhone or Android, you can download and test apps on your spare time
- Photo Capturing: using your smart phone, you can take pictures of every day situations or objects
- Audio Recordings: recording your voice (using your smartphone) reading various short sentences
- Video Recordings: creating short videos (from a few seconds long to a minute long) with your phone of you doing various tasks, such as making silly faces or throwing and catching an object
You get to choose from the long list of tasks they have available, so long as you qualify for it.
You can do it from home (or really from anywhere you have internet access) on your own schedule.
What is UHRS
Clickworker also works in cooperation with another, separate website called Universal Human Relevant System, or UHRS.
It’s really similar to Clickworker in the sense that you simply complete microtasks and get paid.
To be able to qualify for this, you must meet certain country requirements. If you do, you’ll be able to take two assessments: UHRS I and UHRS II.
You have to pass both assessments in order to be qualified to do work on that website.
All the information on that site is completely confidential – and that includes information regarding the tasks your doing and general information regarding the platform itself.
If you do qualify and complete work on there, your payment will be made through your Clickworker account once a month.
How Does It Work?
As long as you have an internet connection, the ability to browse the web, and you’re legally able to work in the place in which you reside, you’re eligible to sign up for Clickworker.
Here’s how Clickworker works:
- Sign up on the “become a Clickworker” page of the company site
- Fill out your profile
- Complete the assesments
- Start working
- Get paid
Now let’s take a closer look at each step!
1. Sign up
The first step is to sign up on their website.
You’re allowed to work from a variety of different countries, however you have to make sure that you can receive payment in your country (they only use PayPal, SEPA transfers, or Transferwise).
If you sign up but cannot accept payments in your country, then you simply wouldn’t get paid.
2. Fill out your profile
The second thing to do is fill out your user profile.
As a new member, you’ll be automatically directed to your user profile page and prompted to fill out the required information, such as:
- Language skills
- Fields of knowledge
It’s really important that you fill this out accurately and thoroughly, because this will be used to determine which tasks you qualify for.
3. Complete the assessments
The next thing you’ll want to do before you start doing assignments is complete a few short assessments.
Which assessments you’re offered to complete, as well as the number available to you, are based on your user profile.
The results of these assessments will be used in determining your personal skills, and will as such be a key factor in what/how many tasks are available to you for completion.
4. Start working
After that, you can finally start doing jobs!
You’ll see a pool of available projects, which will also list the time remaining for completion and the amount it will pay.
You won’t be negatively impacted if you choose to reject jobs, but they probably won’t be reoffered to you right away, either. So, if there’s not a lot of jobs available, you might want to take what you can get.
5. Get paid
Finally, the last step is to get paid.
Once you complete a job on Clickworker, the payment amount is automatically credited to your account.
Depending on your individual situation, you’ll get paid either on a weekly, bi-monthly, or monthly basis.
So long as the funds in your account are more than 5 Euros (for Paypal) or 10 Euros (for SEPA transfers or Transferwise) then you will get paid in that pay period.
Most of the time, jobs are payable within 7 days, except for UHRS jobs, which are payable after 28 days.
If you use PayPal, then you’ll get paid once a week, sometime between Wednesday and Friday.
If you use Transferwise, you’ll get paid out every two weeks.
If you get bank transfers, you’ll get paid out on the 7th or 8th of the following month.
How Much Can You Earn?
The amount of money you can earn on Clickworker depends greatly on the following factors:
- How many tasks are available to you
- If you qualify for the UHRS website
- How long you spend doing it
- Where you live
In general, it seems like you tend to earn more if you live in certain areas (like the U.S.) versus others.
And, as always, if you spend more time checking online for jobs and spend more time completing them, you’ll naturally earn more.
There are some people who say that you can earn (as an American) up to $30 an hour if there’s tasks available. But sometimes, there’s simply not enough tasks to do.
But after sifting through reviews, the more realistic number seems to be around $10-$15 an hour.
And again, there seems to be a common complaint: it’s unreliable.
Even if you had hours’ worth of tasks for days on end, you could suddenly log on to find no tasks available anymore for a long period of time.
If you qualify for the UHRS site, you’ll be eligible for more jobs, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that there won’t be periods without work.
That being said, this would probably be a poor choice as a full-time job. However, it makes it an excellent choice for a part-time side hustle or just a way to earn a few extra bucks here and there.
What I Like
- The tasks are easy and don’t require any special skills or training
- You can get paid weekly
- It’s a great way to earn some extra cash on the side
- There’s lots of different jobs for you to choose from
What I Don’t Like
- It’s too unreliable to substantiate a full-time income
- There’s a lot of variation in the amount of money you can expect to earn
Overall, Clickworker is a legit site where you can earn some extra money on the side.
And even though it’s not necessarily the most reliable when it comes to amount of work available, it’s free to sign up for and you can always check in on your spare time to see what’s available.
And even though it’s not the best way to make money online, it’s surely easy and doesn’t require a lot of effort. So, if that’s what you’re going for, then this would be the perfect side gig for you!
Hope you enjoyed the article! My name is Tim and I’m the creator of Affiliate UNguru. I started this site out of a passion to help others avoid scams and to share how I’ve been able to create a successful business online. You can see how I did it in this free training.