Affilorama is a decent way for people to learn how to create an online business.
However, the core training is lacking in some respects and the community aspect is not something to get too excited about.
Who Is Mark Ling?
Mark Ling founded Doubledot Media in 2005 along with fellow entrepreneur Simon Slade in Christchurch, New Zealand. DoubleDot Media has created several successful products including Affilorama, TRaffic Travis and Salehoo which are designed to help people build successful online businesses around the globe.
Ling has been in the internet marketing arena for quite some time and has earned a pretty good reputation helping people make money during that time.
My First Impression Of Affilorama
I was actually quite impressed at the level of quality of their website. It seems to really stand apart with a clean, non-hype and noise free style which made me want to stay longer on the site. He is not pushing overnight success which is a big plus.
This isn’t really something I would even put in the same basket as a make money online system, it is more of a complete learning and affiliate business building platform.
What You Can Expect On The Inside
My first thought after creating a free account was, where do I start? I had a look around and decided to start with the three main icons you can see in the members area.
I then explored the website further to get an overall feel for what I was getting myself into here.
Let me start by saying there is a ton of useful information in here and it is totally free… you could easily spend a few weeks going through all of the free stuff and the videos just to learn some basic (and sometimes quite useful and specific) information on Internet marketing.
I’m going to lay this Affilorama review out in the following sections to make it easy for people to see what’s inside…
Quick Start Guide
Right off the bat you’ll get a nice little PDF to wet your appetite and help you understand some main concepts in affiliate marketing. Essentially an affiliate marketing overview.
Free Lessons & Guru Videos
The free info is pretty good and there’s lots of it. That said…this really is just snippets of good information that will interest you or teach you something cool.
You should know that what you are getting for free here isn’t taking you by the hand and showing you how to start an affiliate marketing business. It is general in nature, not a ‘how to’ guide.
If you are a total newbie, I think you’ll find the lessons useful but not a comprehensive guide to starting an online business. You may end up frustrated if you think you can use this as your only source of learning moving forward.
Apart from the name, the ‘guru’ videos seemed to be alright. You are able to have access to a bunch of useful videos with online marketers and learn form what they have to say.
What I didn’t like is how some of the people they are really propping up are known to have delivered some of the worst products on the web. For example they do a video with a guy named Ewen Chia, now I’m not trying to run this guy down but he really is a typical guru.
Ewen is responsible for products such as Autopilot Profits which I am not a fan of to say the least.
The ‘Affilo BluePrint’
This is their main stand alone product. It is designed to take you by the hand and help you build an Internet marketing business from scratch in 12 step by step videos.
I have to admit I was a little shocked to see that it was $197, but the good news is that it comes with a 60 day money back guarantee.
I think it is safe to say that most people will be gravitating towards this product as this is what most people are wanting to learn, ‘how to start an online business from scratch’. So be prepared to shell out a pretty hefty up-front fee if you are interested.
The Premium Membership
This is the the bread and butter monthly premium membership for Affilorama, which you can try for only $1 for 30 days.
The additional advantages are:
- Monthly magazines (they are delivered monthly to your members account, they are not a fresh monthly ‘magazine’ like Mark makes out) This is a little weird I thought… they are the real meat of what you are paying for in terms of training. Yet they are branded as monthly tips and tricks in the form of a magazine..? The good news is they are quite valuable and detailed. The first issue teaches you how to build a blog using WordPress and everything that goes along with that.
- You get limited hosting for 15 of your websites
- 19 videos of random training, 9 of which are on product creation, this is a bit off centre… I want to be an affiliate and learn affiliate marketing not become a product producer
- Some PLR articles that you could use, and never have them get ranked… ever. I suppose it’s a nice way to be a copycat and have nothing original to share
- Access to Affilo Tools which seems pretty decent
I would say overall this is reasonably good value, but really worth $67 per month… I’m not convinced.
This product seems pretty good and whether you are premium or not you can use this for free. To use it at full functionality you will need to be a premium member though.
I do like how you can easily check out what keywords you are ranking for and keep tabs on how you are moving up or down. It does some of the same things you can do for free with Google Analytics but simplifies things and brings a few different tasks into one dashboard.
I do think it is a little annoying to navigate and has some drawbacks, I found the keyword research part of it pretty average for one thing.
Something also worth mentioning here since the AffiloTools alone are what is propping up the value of this membership…
These web tools are all good and well while they’re included in the premium membership.. but not if they go ahead and make this a stand alone product. I mention this because they have a track record of making things cost extra, and separating them from your monthly membership fee.
But who knows right?
I personally use Jaaxy and think it is miles ahead in pretty much every way, it’s also way easier to navigate and is more intuitive in my opinion.
This is pretty cool to be able to access as a free member and would prove pretty useful for people to get help along the way no doubt. I’m always a fan of extra support for people trying to build an online business.
It does seem a little under active and I wouldn’t really go as far as to call this website a real interactive community.
It also seems a little strange that the oldest posts are displayed first. In some cases you literally have to scroll through a ton of old comments before you even get to the new and up to date comments… ain’t nobody got time for that!
There also seems to be just one or two main staff replying to questions and comments. While that’s fine it does indicate a lack of community in some respects.
What I Liked
- Free to start
- Good Content
- Less hype than most
- Support is good
- Reasonably good tools included in the premium membership
What I Didn’t Like
- No date stamps on the content which can be a little concerning when you are talking about website building and ranking. You need to ensure the information being provided is 100% current as this could make or break your efforts online quite easily
- Having to pay an additional $197 to get what you should get with your membership
- I’m not a fan of some of the gurus they endorse
- Confusing to know where you should really be starting and the pricing is high and annoying. Free/ $1 trial/ $67 per month/ One off $197 and just generally a bit confusing as to what you actually get with each…
- They talk about PLR articles and the importance of back linking. These can be very bad ways to build a business and in some cases have you in the dog house with Google. Be very careful with back linking in particular
- Limitations on hosting as a premium member (limited to 15 sites)
- No website building portal which means it’s less newbie friendly
This is a comprehensive and high quality platform, with good support and training. It does seem a bit over-priced for what you are getting in my opinion, confusing to get started and has some other drawbacks.
But overall I think Affilorama is a good program that will teach you how to do affiliate marketing.